Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pomp and Circumstance

I have been to two special Graduations this spring, and I have yet to hear a proper version of Pomp and Circumstance. I mean the one with the full orchestra. The one that inexplicably makes you weep. My youngest sister graduated college. It seems like yesterday, that I was 12 and she was born. And now she is a college graduate, going through the paces of getting that first job. I wont elaborate (again) on how nervous I was going through that, because she'll read this. I know that she will find a place that needs her, and that she'll want to be. And then it's just a matter of setting your sail in the right direction, and finding your own north star. My dear friend Miss A graduated from nursing school this weekend. She has to take a math class this summer, but she is only steps away from being a registered nurse. A journey she started 5 years ago. A simple decision that her current situation was no longer working set her on a new course. She has definitely found her north star. Both of these graduations moved me, one for its potential, and the second for its perseverance. I really like the rituals of life, celebrating the passages. They say that this person is important to me, this moment is important to me, and a full orchestra never hurts.

No comments: