Monday, June 9, 2008

Beach Run

The first time I ever ran on a beach was last year. I'm not sure why I waited so long. I've been a gym rat for 11 years now, and have been going to the beach regularly for just as long. I just never put the two together, until last year. My sister was visiting, and we were at the beach. She said she was going for a run, and I said I would join her, not knowing what I was getting myself into. I could run for 45 minutes at that point, so I figured I would be OK.

Running on sand is not the same as running on a treadmill, at all. For one you have the scenery. A horizon stretching out as far as your legs will take you. The sound is not bad techno music like at the gym, but the cresting waves and their hiss as they kiss the shore. The crunch of the sand under foot, and the occasional squawk of a seagull above. And when you reach your destination. When you've run as far as you can. The big blue is just waiting for you to jump in and cool off.

I don't know why I waited so long. Thank you Diana.

No comments: